Saturday, July 24, 2010

319 Miles Left!!!

     It's hard to believe, but the journey keeps getting better and better. Lola and I are doing well and are currently in New Hampshire. We spent the past week making our way through the White Mtns., including the Franconian Range and the Presidential Range, and we have both been left in awe. The hiking was steep and sometimes slick, but the 360 degree views made it all worth the struggle. The vastness and the sheer scale of the Whites exceeded all our expectations. Even now I feel as though I'm still trying to catch my breath. We have been blessed with more amazing trail magic as our new friends Terry and Gretchen, who we met along the trail in Virginia back in May, have taken us into their home and treated us to a day of rest. Right now I'm enjoying an ice cold beer, some chips and home-made guacamole, and I can smell the swordfish cooking in the broiler. Life continues to astound! We will be heading back to the trail tomorrow morning and should be crossing the border into Maine in 3 or 4 days. As best as we can tell, it looks like we'll be finishing sometime around the 15th of August. Wow! That seems really weird to type. I'm not sure how many chance we will have to update the blog between now and then with civilization becoming more spread out as we go further up into Maine, but we will do our best to keep you all up to date. Special thanks to Mom Boutwell, Mom Baker, Tony P and Maureen, Bess, and Peter for the awesome care packages we picked up in Killington, VT. You guys and gals are great! And a huge thanks to Terry and Gretchen. Your hospitality was just as amazing as the views!

8 comments:

  1. There are really no adequate words to respond with to what you have shown us in these pictures and videos. I am just overwhelmed, really. Wish we could join you for the end of the trail, but you are too quick for us! May it be all and more than you can imagine. love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow guys you are flying!!!! I think you might have actually passed my other friend, Veggie. Looks like she was in Hanover, NH July 27th. Speaking of Hanover, that is supposed to be your next mail drop in 2 weeks, but you are well past it. I guess you guys get no homemade venison jerky and banana bread :( Well shucks!!! I miss you guys so much. I love seeing all your smiling pictures and know that you are loving life and having one of the most amazing experiences of your lives. I LOVE YOU GUYS!!! Take care and have a wonderful last 319 miles! I wish I could be in Maine to see you off the trail in Aug but I will be on my way to Mexico for 2 weeks, woot! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys, we are all very proud of you. This hike is a great adventure not only for you two but for everyone else reading it. We miss you a lot, take care of each other. Finishing Aug 15 sounds really awesome and gives us hope to see you during Gauley season. Hugs and kisses from WV (we are here for a week). Love you both

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey by the way i have message Cheri and David say hi and they hope to see you too during gauley season!

    ReplyDelete
  5. B and L, do you need someone to pick you up in Maine at the end? Are you planning to go to WV right after? Cosmo and I would come up and get you guys. We'd take you to your car, or all the way to ACEland or whatever you need. We'd love to do a lil road trip. Let me know what you're thinking and we can get work off! 503.385.5725 Much love!

    -Paul Andrews

    ReplyDelete
  6. 319 miles AWESOME!!!!

    I'm so proud of you!

    Mom b.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing journey that emerges from small, faithful steps. We love and miss you both!

    The Attaways

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys have shown such a drive and willingness to stay on a path for great amount of time. Thank you for the daily inspiration that your actions have given me. If you guys need anything after your done you know who to call! Love you and miss you much, moe says hello too! Ps mr baker moe got a job at a cupcake shop in gruene, you know what that means!

    Tony p

    ReplyDelete